Friday, July 23, 2010

Affirmative Action Is A Joke


Now the real question is this ‘who would you trust most to save your life a racial minority that might only have their job as a surgeon in the hospital because they were black or some other race other than Asian or Caucasian, who you can be damn sure earned their position by achievement?’ Obviously you will choose the Caucasian surgeon or the Asian surgeon because both would have done all the work to get the job.

In the US and Canada we are forced to hire a certain amount of racial minorities to round out our companies and in turn are forced to hire second rate employees because we might not have the proper amount of token
s to make the small interest groups happy. Now I don't care about race and honestly I think folks of all races are able to perform up to standard and no one race is greater than the other. But if I was to have a large office or staff and I had to choose between a Caucasian guy who was obviously the best candidate or an East Indian person who was almost as good I'd choose the Caucasian guy. But I would probably choose the person who fit the office on a social level best as well. So if I had cool guy show up who wasn't the best at the specific job but would be a better team player and fit in with my current staff I'd choose them no matter their race.

If some Caucasian showed up dressed like a hippie with dreads I wouldn't hire him/her no way no how. I think that people who dress like that wouldn’t fit in to my personal company. I don't like the lifestyle that type of dress signifies and so, I'd hire a completely different person. I judge everyone by how they dress and act as everyone will judge me the same way or discount me for being overweight. Nobody wants to hire a fat guy or girl to work for them but affirmative action doesn't dictate that you have to hire a Jew, Fat Chick, Bald Guy, Blind Girl, Disabled Person or an alcoholic. But it does tell me I have to hire a Black, Indian, East Indian, Asian and so forth. I find that ridiculous and have stated why previously.

Getting a job based on the colour of your skin signifies that you’re not good enough to have earned the job which puts an unfair judgment onto all minorities which are really not minorities any longer. Affirmative action produces no concrete benefits for minority students in universities or colleges and actually has several harmful effects, according to a new report by the Cato Institute. "Recent research shows that college admissions preferences do not offer even the practical benefits claimed by their supporters," writes Marie Gryphon, a lawyer and policy analyst with the Cato Institute's Center for Educational Freedom.

Political scientist Jay Green found that only 20 percent of African-American students and 16 percent of Hispanics leave high school with the minimum credentials. "Minority underrepresentation in college is caused by public schools' failure to prepare minority students," writes Gryphon. "It is a failure that affirmative action does not remedy." Preferences also do not increase the earning power of students who attend more selective schools as a result of affirmative action. Recent research shows that when equally prepared students are compared, those attending less selective schools make as much money as those from more selective schools.

Of course racial quotas hurt minorities. Anytime you lower the bar and standards for a certain group of individuals, you’re not doing them a favor. It’s also insulting to assume that the only way the group is going to succeed is if you establish a different and less difficult set of rules just for them. In the end; What affirmative action means to me, is when I see a minority professional person, I always wonder are they really best qualified for their job, or were they moved to the head of the line, over more qualified people, based solely on the fact that they are not Caucasian. If I need major surgery, I want the best qualified doctor available, not the one that makes everyone giddy with political correctness.

No comments:

Post a Comment